Tuesday Magic Item – Gallowglass Locket30 June, 2015
“That big fellow’s locket is quite nice,” whispered Voddick with a discrete gesture.
“I had not realized he was a bodyguard,” replied Gollaon, equally quietly.
“Indeed?” queried Voddick. He started looking for threats now, after all, they were hired for the same task bu the Graf von Eisenstahl.
Gollaon nodded. “I recognize the style of amulet. It is common among the sept lords to hire mercenary bodyguards who will not have ties to local politics.”
“Considering their tendency to be murdered by their cousins, seems very sensible.”
These lockets are made of bronze or steel and decorated with gold or silver and usually marked with the symbol of the family it was made for, inside there is a place for a miniature portrait or a lock of hair (rarely both). The locket’s magic is protective and it is activated when given, with a portrait of or lock of hair from the giver inside, to the recipient.
The act of giving and receiving creates a bond between the two, the wearers and their charge. The wearer of the amulet gains:
- A +5 competence bonus to Insight and Perception checks to notice ambushes, hidden weapons, poisonings and other such threats to their charge and a +2 resistance bonus to saves to resist mind-affecting spells and effects.
- A +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls when fighting to defend their charge or when fighting at their charge’s command.
- Once a day, as a free action gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength, +10′ enhancement bonus to ground speed and 1d10 + their level of temporary hit points for 2d6+3 minutes. This can only be used if their charge is threatened in some way.
While the charge gains:
- A +2 morale bonus to saves against fear, this increase by +1 for each additional locket and wearer up to a maximum of +5.
- Five temporary hit points per locket and wearer, to a maximum of twenty, these replenish every morning.
The bond between the two last until the wearer or charge dies at which point it can be “reset” by changing the portrait or lock of hair.
Aura strong abjuration; CL 11th
Slot neck; Price 27,000; Weight –
Craft Wondrous Item, geas, heroism, owl’s wisdom; Cost 13,500
Notes: The Gallowglass were a type of Irish mercenary, famed as bodyguards.