Ypisaran Serpentfolk (A to Z Challenge, Y)29 April, 2015
The Serpentfolk are the children of the goddess Ypisara, though she is now only acknowledged as the great mother of their race. A minor race, they weathered the war of against the gods and the Sundering better than most due to the act of submission and self-sacrifice by Ypisara in exchange for the protection of the Empress, she gave her life willingly to the Dragon Queen.
Since then, her children have thrived, in a restrained fashion, under the protective eye of the Empress who acts as their patron and protector.
Personality: The Serpentfolk are a dedicated and loyal people, devoted to their communities and, in a vague sense, the Empire as a whole. While each of the serpentfolk is their own person they often think of themselves as part of a chain of community and tend to weight the good of the group over the good of the individual.
Physical Description: The Serpentfolk are humanoid, tending toward slender builds, and covered in a network of fine scales usually in shades of green but other colors show up on occasion. Their eyes are dark and their heads are decorated by low crests. They have claws but they are not usually large or strong enough to be effectively used as weapons.
The serpentfolk are warm blooded but lay eggs.
Relations: The Serpentfolk are not well known outside of Imperial circles, they only having really begun expanding outside of those confines in the last few centuries. Their position as direct Imperial subjects means that their homeland is essentially inviolate but they do trade salt and items made of salt for what imports they need.
Alignment: The Serpentfolk are organized in family groups and in clutch-cohorts, all of the serpentfolk who were hatched in the same season, it is a loose structure but it works. They are very community oriented and tend to defer to their elders.
Serpentfolk Lands: The Serpent folk have a large island that is theirs, though under the direct rule of the Empress, it runs from the Bitter Hills, mined for salt and copper, to the mangrove swamps of the Darksea Marsh and the Darksea beyond.
Religion: They venerate Ypisara as their ancestral mother and the Empress as their protector with their ancestors being revered and offering made for them. They have an idea of rebirth in a continual ouroboros of life and spirit. A secret sect
Language: The Serpentfolk speak and read their own language handed down from before the Sundering, as well as the Imperial Tongue and, in honor of the Empress, Low Draconic.
Names: Names in the Serpentfolk tongue are difficult to pronounce for non-serpentfolk so they tend to attract monikers when dealing with them.
Adventurers: The Serpentfolk increasingly are seeking posts with the Dragon Imperium outside of their homeland and a few of those have decided to explore the greater world on their own.
Serpentfolk Racial Traits
• +2 Dexterity: the Serpentfolk are usually quick, but otherwise within normal range for humanoid.
• Size: Serpentfolk are Medium creatures and thus have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Type: Ypsaran Serpentfolk are humanoids with the reptilian subtype.
• Serpentfolk base speed is 30 feet.
• Low-light Vision: Serpentfolk can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• Friend of Fishes: Serpentfolk gain a +2 racial bonus to swim checks.
• Salt Resistance: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells or powers with the salt keyword and resistance 3 (or half level, whichever is higher) to salt damage.
• Scales: Serpentfolk have a +1 natural armor bonus from their scaled skin.
• Shaper of Salt: raised with salt as the primary building material, they become adept at working it from an early age, gaining +2 racial bonus on all craft checks involving salt.
• Automatic Languages: Serpentfolk, Imperial Tongue and Low Draconic.
Notes: Some of the salt shaped items of the Ypsarans can be found here.