Tuesday Magic Item – Goat Calling Flute8 January, 2013
“Are you gonna play the fiddle for us, Uncle Aja? Are ya? Are ya?” clambered the assorted children. around the bard.
“You just settle down, little misses and misters,” laughed Aja. “I’ve got a treat that will make the fiddlin’ all that much better.”
“Whatist?” “What you got?” “Show us, Uncle Aja!”
With a flourish, Aja produced a flute and began playing a jaunty tune. Soon, two goats appeared and began dancing, once they did, Aja picked up his fiddle and began leading goats and kids in a merry dance.
Goat Calling Flute
These flutes are always carved from the horn of a goat and can be found in various shapes and sizes depending on the type of goat the horn was taken from.
The flute is simple enough to use, it just requires a bit of musical skill, with a successful Perform (wind instruments) check DC 15 the musician can summon a goat after 2d4+1 rounds of playing. The goat may have various other abilities depending on the class of the person who called it (if multi-classed choose one):
- Barbarian, Fighter and suchlike: Gains an additional +1 Natural Armor and Weapon Focus (gore) as a bonus feat.
- Bard: Summons two goats each with the skill Perform (Dance) at +6.
- Cleric, Druid, Oracle and those who walk with gods and powers: Either gains one of the following templates -as appropriate to the musician’s alignment- : celestial, entropic, infernal or resolute. Or they gain Healing Milk (Su): the goat produces milk that used as part of a healing spell heals an additional 1d4 points of damage. The goat can produce up to three drinks with must be used within five minutes of milking the goat.
- Rogue and other sneaky sorts: Gains Dodge and Mobility as bonus feats.
- Sorcerer, Wizard and other arcane-wielders: Gains a +4 bonus when using Aid Another to aid to Armor Class.
The summoned goat will stay around for 2 rounds plus 1 round for each point the Perform DC was exceed by. The flute can be used up to three times a day (four times for a Bard).
Aura faint conjuration; CL 5th
Slot none; Price 4,250; Weight –
Craft Wondrous Item, bear’s endurance, bull’s strength, cat’s grace, summon monster I or summon natures ally I, creator must have 5 ranks in Perform (wind instruments); Cost 2,125