Tuesday Magic Item – Caïssa’s Medallion29 July, 2014
I idly flipped the medallion over and over in my hand, the chessboard design on the back appearing and disappearing to be replaced by the stylized pawn.
Then something changed, as the designs flashed by.
I stopped and slowed turned it over, now instead of a pawn, it was showing a bishop.
These unusual items are crafted by or for lovers of games and adventure, they are made from a silver or gold coin that had been won through gambling. On one side, there is a chessboard pattern, on the other a pawn, though that can change.
The wearer of this amulet gains a +3 competence bonus to any skills checks involving games of skill.
Depending on which chess piece is showing, other bonuses are gained, the pawn is the default and it will be showing when one of the other piece’s abilities is not being used. The other pieces can only be used a limited number of times.
• Pawn, +2 moral bonus to saves against Fear and if they fail a save against fear, they may make a second in the immediately following round to reduce the effect of fear by one level.
• Rook, +2 deflection bonus to armor class, Damage Reduction 3/magic for ten rounds plus one round per point of Wisdom modifier. Usable twice per week.
• Knight, +30′ enhancement bonus to movement, +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, +5 competence bonus to Acrobatic checks for ten rounds plus one round per point of Intelligence modifier. Usable twice per week.
• Bishop, +2 enhancement bonus to Wisdom, if the wearer is a divine caster, they cast spells as if one level higher, if they are not a divine caster, they may cast up to two 1st level clerical spells as a cleric of half their level, these abilities are accessible for ten rounds plus one round per point of Wisdom modifier. Usable twice per week.
• Queen, +2 enhancement bonus to Charisma, if the wearer is an arcane caster, they cast spells as if one level higher, if they are not an arcane caster, they may cast up to two 1st level wizard spells as a sorcerer of half their level, these abilities are accessible for ten rounds plus one round per point of Charisma modifier. Usable once per week.
• King, the wearer can cast limited wish, this is draining, causing the user to take three negative levels (Will DC 23 to remove). This ability is usable only once per month and the amulet is unusable until the negative levels are removed.
Aura strong universal; CL 15th
Slot neck; Price 55,000; Weight –
Craft Wondrous Item, eagle’s splendor, expeditious retreat, fox’s cunning, heroism, owl’s wisdom, shield, limited wish; Cost 27,500
Notes: Inspired by the fictional story of Caïssa, goddess of chess.